A Colorado Springs Resort With Free Gardens, Landscaping, and a Showerhead Swap | Jill from Colorado
(Colorado Springs, CO) Earth Day, the annual global celebration of environmental awareness is this Friday, April 22. Colorado Springs Utilities is a local organization that works year-round on conservation efforts and environmental awareness.
The utility company has a conservation and environmental center that provides education, outreach and customer incentives to help community members use water wisely and responsibly.
The Conservation and Environment Center has five landscaped gardens that feature beautiful natural spaces that are economical and water efficient.
the free demonstration gardens are perfect for visitors looking for landscaping tips or those who want to spend time in a beautiful natural area. This beautiful, well-designed space feels like walking through a small botanical garden – a hidden gem in Colorado Springs.
There are five garden models:
- Economical – This landscape design will cost around $30 per 1000 square feet to water all summer long.
- Contemporary Designs – This garden includes shrubs, ornamental grass, and annual flowers to provide a modern, updated landscape.
- Deer Resistant / Fire Wise – If animals like to graze in your garden, this garden has suggestions for plants that deer won’t eat.
- Low Maintenance – This garden is easy to maintain for plants that require minimal pruning and maintenance.
- Meadow – Plants that grow in sandy, well-drained soil are featured in this landscape design.
The gardens are outdoors and available to enjoy at any time. It is best to visit Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. when the lobby is open and landscape experts are on site.
The Conservation and Environment Center offers free monthly webinars related to landscaping and water-efficient gardens.
The next webinar, Landscape design in action, is April 21 at 6:00 p.m. Registered attendees can watch and learn how a landscape designer designs an aquatic outdoor space in real time. To learn more about this webinar and to register, go to here.
Other free water webinars include:
- Smart Watering Practices for Colorado Springs – May 12 at 6 p.m.
- Beautiful aquatic plants – June 2 at 6 p.m.
Class schedule is available here.
Shower head swap
The Conservation and Environment Center also has a free showerhead exchange program. New efficient showerheads can save water and energy by reducing the demand on your water heater.
Colorado Springs Utility customers can trade in two old showerheads for Niagara Earth showerheads at free of charge. Guests also receive free plumbing tape and a shower timer.
Please call ahead to request the exchange. The phone number is (719) 668-8232.
The Colorado Springs Environmental and Conservation Center offers many programs to help citizens conserve water. These conservation efforts benefit the individual as well as the local community and Colorado.
This Earth Day, think about the changes you can make to help protect and conserve our natural resources. It starts with one.
the Conservation and Environment Center is located at 2855 Mesa Road, Colorado Springs, CO.
Please follow me for more local, inexpensive community activities the whole family can enjoy.